Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Gouaches

I will be participating in the Santa Paula Art Museum's Annual juried "Art about Agriculture" exhibition. 64 pieces were chosen out of over 200 entries.
My small gouache of a pump house in a Salinas field is the accepted piece:

Salinas Pump House, 4"x4" gouache on WC board

The gouache paintings sometimes start on site and then are finished in the studio with photo and color references. These are small 'table' work pieces, where I sit at my drafting table and paint carefully mixing and layering the paint. I've been working on this series of 'small shacks' for several years now. Whenever I come across an interesting looking little structure, I'm always drawn to it - fascinated by what it's purpose is or was, who made it, why it's there. 
I like the small scale of the paintings, because it suits the subject matter of the small buildings.


Field shack, Los Alamos, 5 1/2"x6"


Dam Keeper's house, Sierras 5 1/2"x6"


Old Cabin Barn, Sierras 5 1/2"x6"


Remember the Virtues, Isla Vista beach, 5 1/2"x6"

It would be fun to show all of these together sometime - they would make a nice grouping.

No comments:

Post a Comment