Thursday, May 14, 2020

Painting in captivity

March 13, 2020 became the date for me that everything stopped. SCAPE's big annual art exhibit at the Bacara was cancelled literally at the last minute, a concert cancelled, appointments cancelled, travel plans cancelled, stores suddenly jammed with people frantic to 'stock-up' and then the word that we were to "shelter in place". Museums and Galleries closed.
Never in my lifetime have I experienced anything so completely surreal, scary and unknowable. Covid19 changed everyone's life and continues to alter the way we do virtually everything. What's normal anymore? Will it ever be like it was? Where is this headed? Everyone talks about a 'new normal' but no one seems to know what that is.
It has been interesting to see how artists have responded to this time of isolation. Artists by nature, spend a lot of time alone: working in studios, outdoors, behind our easels. How many times I've thought to myself (or said out loud) "I need more time to paint." So many other things in life to attend to. The irony is that now I have as much time as I want, but it seems fraught with an underlying sense of anxiety. 
Eugene Delacroix said: "We work not only to produce but to give value to time."

I'm grateful beyond words for a studio to hunker down in - a space I can retreat to when the daily news gets to be too much. Artists are creative people - and I've seen no end of creativity coming from individuals, art institutions, art groups and classes. It's been amazing. And because of our connectivity (good or bad) to the world, we can reach out in ways we never would have.
I've never been a Facebooker, but I got on Instagram and follow my family and artists whose work is inspiring. I post pictures of my work (nwarner13, #ninawarnerartwork) which is easier than writing the blog. I keep up with emails and texts, I write letters, order materials online, take my weekly figure class in Zoom. 
I did an online painting challenge with Dutch artist Roos Schuring and painted 20 floral paintings in 30 days. It was inspiring to see so many artists from all over the world paint all the beautiful Spring flowers around us - our backyards, patios, neighborhoods. I've watched some wonderful artists give 'webinars' - so generous of their time to share their work and methods. I've listened to podcasts of artists talking about their work - so inspiring.
And still go out on Mondays to paint. Landscape painters always keep social distance and now we just take care where we go, stay out of the way and talk 6' apart. It's the only 'normal' activity I still have.
But I've neglected my blog. So I'll try to catch up over the next couple days and post images in groups: 'plein air', flowers, studio works, oils, gouaches - however it shakes out. 


Rincon from the Carpinteria Bluffs, oil on panel 9"x12

This was the last pre-Covid painting day in March. It was a beautiful Monday and we painted plein air in the bright morning light.




No comments:

Post a Comment