Friday, May 29, 2020

studio painting

This 'sheltering in place' time has been interesting for me and my artist friends. We've all found projects to work on, challenges, and time to look and support other artists (for me, via Instagram). I've found so many amazing artists working so many different ways - each having their own approach to making and sharing their work. My own studio time has changed - I've worked on more paintings in my little controlled environment than ever before. I much prefer working outside, plein air, maybe doing a little finishing in the studio. Now I took on the challenge of working from a photo reference entirely - as many of the artists I admire do. 

The photo was taken last January in Carmel Valley. We had gone there for the memorial service for a dear aunt who passed away at 95. I'd often looked at this tree, even sketched it before - but the late afternoon light the day we arrived was really lovely. It was interesting too, that since our last visit here, the tree had lost a big lower limb - something about that scar was catching my interest. The missing limb. It was difficult for me - especially working larger than usual - but I think in the end I got a nice painting.


monterey pine, carmel valley (for Ona) oil on panel, 18"x24"


Tried to keep the brushwork loose, have less detail and good design, as well as use a fairly limited palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment